Monday, April 18, 2011

An off day

Today was an off day.  It happens.  Well, it was just another 'manic Monday.'  Few Mondays are awesome, I think we should abolish Mondays.  I had to be at work early and I didn't plan my time well last night so I didn't get the chance to do my normal Sunday big cooking session.  I like to cook on Sundays so I can have lunch ready for Monday and cook less throughout the week because I have leftovers.  

So for lunch today I made a salad from the salad bar at the grocery market close  to my office.  It was delicious.  I wish I always had that many ingredients to choose from for my salads I make at home!  Here's a picture of this deliciousness! 


It was a baby spinach salad with the works: mushrooms, feta, beets, sunflower seeds, black olives, broccoli, hard boiled egg, banana peppers, red onions....I think that's it.  Topped with some balsamic vinaigrette.  It was pretty tasty!  It didn't hold me over the entire day so I was thankful I brought a Lara Bar (peanut butter cookie) to tide me over.  I also introduced a co-worker to the Lara-Bar--  I turned her into a believer.  They are so good!! 

Today it was generally hard for me to concentrate and my morning got interrupted by having to get ready faster than normal to be at work so early.  I didn't eat a hearty breakfast, I didn't relax and watch the news...instead I jammed to some tunes as I quickly scarfed down some toast and coffee.  Swallowed my vitamins, brushed my teeth and ran out the door.  Then I was working crazy fast for 2 straight hours and then...crash.   Lunch got me going for a bit again, gotta love when a good  meal gives you a friendly pat of encouragement rather than the after-lunch-slump that use to plague me with some frequency.   

Even though my routine was interrupted and I felt unproductive there was no point in giving up on what could still be a great night, right?  Right, because when you have great friends like Megan you are bound to be surprised by an easy and delicious recipe that includes things I've never used (which is always a fun adventure).  Sure enough Megan gave me step-by-step instructions to a delicious dinner.  I would encourage you to read Megan's blog, where you can find versions of the recipe or request the recipe from her.  http://www.eatmybeets.com/  Her blog is awesome.  Below is the steps of making this Barley and Bean meal (so-very-not-kosher-for-passover):






1 comment:

  1. mmm that salad looks delicious! And thanks for the shout-out :D! I misss you

    ReplyDelete