Thursday, March 17, 2011

More Ovaltine, Please!


Oh man, I love Ovaltine!  I only drink it as a little reward after working out.  It's so sweet and delicious! And, as the mom points out in the commercials it has 12 healthy vitamins and minerals!!! Can't lose.  Now I'm going to do a little more advertising for the Ovaltine company, and try to convince YOU to drink it post workout!

Studies have been indicating for years that chocolate milk is one of the best post-workout beverages.  It has the water you need to rehydrate (in addition, of course, to the water you drank during your workout), and it has the carbs, protein, and calcium in it that your muscles can use to repair and restore themselves after a strenuous workout.  Many researchers have found that chocolate milk is even better than the common specialty designed carbohydrate and hydrating fluids and even supplement and protein powder shakes!   fitness magazine articleweb md articleMedical News Today Article;  Livestrong article.

I had a great yoga workout today.  I was feeling a little yucky about yoga this winter and haven't been in quite awhile, I think it was the weather and perhaps my affliction with S.A.D (self diagnosed).  But today was great, and felt good for mind, body, and spirit.  So my lesson for today is drink your Ovaltine (which is my chocolate milk of choice), I did!

2 comments:

  1. I've been wondering how chocolate milk compares to just regular old milk. Do you know? I like to eat my chocolate-yogurt concoction post-workout (on my days off when I go to the gym in the AM) Also - I'm so glad that you made it back to yoga! (I love yoga.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, seems like yogurt with Cocao would be just as beneficial but would lack the H2O, which I would think help the nutrients get absorbed in your thirsty cells after a draining workout. Also, it seems that the added benefits of the additional carbohydrates/sugar that chocolate adds to milk is helpful to thirsty cells. When you have a vigorous workout your cells thrive and our quite efficient at processing carbs so if you can give them everything they need-- sugars/carbs, protein, water they will recover and repair faster. So I do think there is a reason that lots of articles talk about chocolate milk rather than plain milk. :)

    ReplyDelete